Friday, February 18, 2011

Buttermilk Baked Chicken


How is it Friday already?! WOO HOO - long weekend.

So, the meal plan fell apart last night - but I think we'll nix the veggie cassoulet, and do shrimp & grits tonight for movie night with the hubs.

I did make the Buttermilk chicken recipe (that I found here) on Wednesday night though. I thought this was OK. I probably wouldn't make it again, although I would make breadcrumbs like this again and switch up the recipe a little bit. Here it is:

Buttermilk Baked Chicken
  • Vegetable oil, for baking sheet -- I just sprayed EVOO spray on baking dish
  • 8 slices bread --- I used UDI's of course, and only 4 slices
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 4 pounds chicken parts (preferably legs, thighs, and wings), rinsed and patted dry --- I used chicken breast & legs, and only used about 2 lbs

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously rub a baking sheet with oil. In a food processor, pulse bread until it turns into coarse crumbs.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, hot-pepper sauce, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a separate bowl, mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan, thyme, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
  3. Place the chicken in the buttermilk mixture, turning to coat evenly. Working with one piece at a time, remove chicken from liquid, letting excess drip back into bowl; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat evenly. Place coated chicken pieces on prepared baking sheet.
  4. Bake until chicken is golden brown, about 35 minutes.
Here is the bread in the food processor, before:

And after: My little assembly line dunking the chicken in the buttermilk mixture, then crumbs, then baking sheet:
Finished product:
Not bad.... for some reason this tasted better as leftovers... I think the mix of hot sauce & thyme was a little weird... Maybe more seasoning, no hot sauce next time! I also sliced & roasted brussel sprouts in a little olive oil and season salt, and red potatoes on the side!

OK - now I have about half a carton of buttermilk left -- what should I make with it??? Have a FABULOUS weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Marlow said...

I always struggle with what to do with leftover buttermilk too!!

I know when my Dad makes fried chicken, he marinates the chicken in the buttermilk for about an hour. I wonder if it would work the same for baked chicken?

GF Gidget said...

I have a feeling Paula Dean would approve!

Lizzy said...

What did you do with all the buttermilk? You could make pancakes or some sort of cupcake? your chicken and brussels look fab and truthfully I love leftovers and always love my leftovers more the next day.

Allie said...

we ended up making pancakes one day - and my husband mixed them in with scrambled eggs one morning (then I had to explain to him exactly what buttermilk is, he thought it was literally butter mixed with milk) - but they actually turned out pretty good, there was also some sharp cheese in there