Monday, February 05, 2007

Banana Nut Muffins


I was recently browsing the forums at GlutenFreeForums.com the other day, and saw a thread on banana bread. I immediately had a craving for it, and reading through the recipes, Amy gave one for Banana Muffins. The recipe she gave was not just gluten free, but lactose free & vegan (I think, no eggs).

I made a few modifications, added nuts, used real milk & eggs - so I'm not sure if I got the measurements exactly right - I'm sure some of you more experienced bakers out there would know - I'm more of a beginner with baking, I'm usually cooking something salty.

So in case you're interested, here's the recipe I used:

1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup crisco
2 eggs
1 large banana, mashed
1/2 cup of milk - a little more was added when it was too doughy
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix (I used Tom Sawyers, see link below)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Crushed walnuts - or any nut of your choice, about a cup

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl sift together all dry ingredients and set aside. In a small bowl mash the banana. In a large bowl cream together crisco and sugar. Add eggs, mashed banana, milk & vanilla. Mix well. Add dry ingredients and mix well (this was where I realized i needed more milk!) Spoon into muffin tins, I used individual wrappers for minimul clean-up.
Bake for about 12-15 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. About 5-8 minutes before they're done, sprinkle walnuts on top of muffins. OR mix them right into the batter, I think I'll try that next time, because the walnuts taste really delicious with this. Remove from oven. Let cool on rack. They tasted great out of the oven, cut in half, with a little bit of low-fat butter, and for the next day & day after that, microwave, bit-o-butter & ENJOY!

Tom Sawyer's Gluten Free Flour

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Allie, these look good although I might replace the crisco with something else. Sometimes I use applesauce instead of oil, I wonder if that would work here?

By the way, if you are ever in NYC at the same time as one of our meetups you should definitely stop by! We love visitors.

P.S. I added a link to your blog on my nav bar. Let me know if you mind or not.

Allie said...

Hey Erin -

Thanks for adding me - I have done the same!

I hear ya on the crisco... fatty! Applesauce is a good call, I also wonder if that would work. I'm still trying to get a good understanding of baking, since I never used to bake before, and I make A LOT of baking mistakes... :)

ByTheBay said...

Looks tasty! But I definitely stay away from crisco.

Nice to find your blog. Mine is Gluten-Free By The Bay. Look forward to seeing more of your recipes!

Allie said...

Hey ByTheBay - I've been to your site a bunch of times! It's great... In fact, I'm adding you to my sidebar of blogs, if that's OK with you of course.

I plan on doing a lot of cooking/baking this weekend, I'll post.

Have a great weekend!