Thursday, July 22, 2010

Fish Tacos


First time, actually second, time I was in San Francisco I saw a lot of signs & read many menus advertising fish tacos. For some reason, they sounded weird to me -- but I love fish, I love tacos, and they were all made with corn tortillas, so I figured I'd try them. Umm....YUM.

When we went on our honeymoon we had the best fish tacos EVER in Paia on Maui, and I have actually been trying to re-create them ever since. They're really simple, and I've found a few recipes, but I usually just make it up each time.

This version pictured above was the following:
• Tilapia - lighted dusted with brown rice flour & fried up in a pan
• Red & Green shredded cabbage - mixed with champagne vinegar, lime juice, salt & pepper
• Avocado - also with lime juice
• Scallions
• Shredded cheese (cotija would be great if you can find it)
• dollop of sour cream mixed with spices
• corn tortillas ( I quickly fried them in a pan with a brush of oil)
• one more squeeze of lime on top!

I also have followed these recipes in the past: one from Food & Wine Magazine and the other from Epicurious.

Enjoy!



And that's it!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I have been dying to try some fish tacos!! I keep hearing such great things about them!

Kilee said...

Hi! Which place in Paia were your fav's from? The fish market? My fav were from the restaurant across the street, Milagros. When I lived there, I almost always ordered them. Have a great night!