Friday, April 10, 2009

Best GF Store-Bought Bread I've found....STERK'S


OK -- who has had this before, and why have you been hiding it from me?

I was in Reading, MA at this cute little place in Reading, MA called The Natural Food Exchange and found quite a few GF products that I had never seen before, that I had to buy.

The best one - was Sterk's Italian Bread.

WOW - this is definitely the closest to real bread flavor & texture (when toasted only) that I have found. AND - there are like no calories or fat*, and there is some protein & fiber. Look, there's 7 ingredients in this bread:

I'm not sure how they get it to taste so good... or get the texture so spot on. Look at this delicious breakfast sandwich:


I mean c'mon -- looks like real toast. Needless to say, I ate the entire loaf in 4 days... and now I'm sad that I've run out, and don't have anywhere near me that sells it.


* I am exaggerating when I say "no" fat or calories - but it was really really low for both. Since I devoured the bag, I threw out the packaging and forgot to write it down. Sterk's doesn't have a website, but I found their products for sale here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm moving to Reading :)
it really does look like REAL bread.
erin@glutenfreewithapurpose

Jen said...

I blogged about it not that long ago, I get it at Good Health in Quincy!

Jamie said...

Oh my goodness that looks so good!! I have to find some near me!

Unknown said...

Have you had bread from The Grainless Baker? How does it compare?

Allie said...

Hey Erin -

I have only had the Mock Rye from Grainless Baker - I love the taste, and think the bread is great -- it just falls apart so easily.

This sterks bread has just a real bread taste, and doesn't crumble. The only thing - you really do have to toast it... not so great un-toasted.

I think the Mock Rye could go un-toasted actually, it's just too bad that it won't hold together.

Anonymous said...

If you're ever in Columbus, Ohio stop at Raisin Rack. They have several of these products, but we haven't tried them. Now that you've raved about it, I'm definitely going to have to check it out. www.raisinrack.com

Adam said...

Hi Allie

I see and understand your mission mission statement to find good tasting gluten free bread.

I know of an option from Australia. Heres the YouTube link

http://www.youtube.com/GlutenFreeHealthnet#p/a/u/0/mHPLOuxh6OM.

If you want more info email: info@soyproducts.com.au

I Dream Of Toast said...

Where can you buy this bread? I'm not having any luck with my Google-fu.

Allie said...

I have been having a hard time finding this bread lately - they used to have it at a local store near me - but now I'm mostly just buying Udi's Gluten Free Bread.. since finding that it is my favorite - check it out.