Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Chebe Sandwich

I went back to that natural food store in Manchester, NH, "A Natural Foods" and found a few new items... One of those was sandwich bread oven-ready dough. I figured I'd give it a try. Although, I realized when I got home that this package was $7.99, and it only makes two sandwiches.... That seems a bit steep, but what the hell.Here is a picture of the dough right out of the package (mine was not as frozen from the long drive in the hot weather)... It needed to bake at 375 for 35 minutes, which is sortof a long time to wait to eat a sandwich in my opinion...
After about 30 minutes here's what we've got... Puffy and very crunchy on the outside -- probably too crunchy, but I think I overcooked it.
And my Chebe ham & cheese sandwich all pulled together... Check out the pic at the top for what the inside looked like... 

Overall, pretty tasty. Chebe bread is just really good, despite the super crunchy exterior it was good -- but I wouldn't say it improved my ham & cheese. I think next time I'll make this with mozz, tomato & basil or make a tuna melt... Might be a little more exciting than a ham & cheese.... 

3 comments:

Katie said...

Hello again!

Have you ever tried Glutino corn bread? I don't think they make anything for wraps but they have really good sandwich bread. It's especially good if you use it for grilled cheese!

How long have you been gluten free? I just quickly scrolled through your blog, you've probably been gluten free for years and already know about this stuff!

Katie

Allie said...

Hey katie...

I've been gluten free for 2 years this month... actually, two years exactly on the 26th! wow, i didn't even notice... i have a sister with celiac also and she's been gluten free for about 7 years, so i feel like I have also been GF for that long....

anyway - i haven't tried the glutino corn bread, only because i had another corn bread from Ener-G (i think) and I really disliked it.

i do like a lot of glutino products though, i should give it a shot... I'm always looking for good bread...

:)

Katie said...

Hello again! Yes you should try glutino bread...I think it's great! I love their crackers too...I'm a big fan of theirs.

Wow, so you've been around the gluten free lifestyle for awhile now! You're a seasoned glutie :)

Your job sounds awesome! I love branding as well...and web design! I wish we learned more flash in school, I just know the basics.

I actually don't graduate until this coming up June! So I'm not out yet! But thanks for the congrats anyway!

I am still trying to decide what I want to do when I'm out. A little part of me wants to move to NYC and work in editorial...preferably Martha Stewart's new food allergy magazine Living Free! But that's just a dream! I also wouldn't mind living there because of all the gluten free food options!

Hope you had a happy labor day weekend!

Do you have a website with your portfolio?

Katie :)