Friday, July 18, 2008

Dinner at Marco

Sorry for the delay in this post! Work is bananas right now.
OK - SO..... Last Thursday Julia accompanied me to Marco to try out their GF menu! It was very last minute, so we didn't have time to call ahead to order bread -- but, it looks like I'll be going back this week with some other friends, so I'll be sure to call early.

We had some delicious beverages to start: 

These were Ruby Red Grapefruit Bellini's -- YUM. 

Then we decided to start with the fried Mozzarella & Ricotta cheese balls in their very delicious pomodoro with shaved parmesan. Holy delicious. 


I haven't had something fried in ages. They did warn us in advance that they use the same fryer -- I am usually OK with that. Julia said she is too -- and after the meal, we both felt fine -- if not too stuffed & maybe a bit lightheaded from the drinks.


The second drink was some kind of home-infused beverage, which looked pretty with the blueberries - but we didn't really like it that much. I think it was some kind of Tequila - it tasted like patron (yuck), but for those of you who like these infused beverages, then try these out.

For the main course -- we decided to get two half portions of pasta & split them... We went with the Bolognese & Marco's version of an Alfredo:


I thought the Bolognese was amazing. I had actually had it back before I was gluten free -- and it was as good as I remembered. FYI -- they told us they use Glutino's GF pasta, and I thought it tasted great -- I had never had it before, they were able to keep it very slightly al dente.

The Alfredo was good -- not  great. I felt like all I could taste was the olive oil -- but it was mixed with spinach, fresh grape tomatoes, olives and goat cheese. Not sure if it was due to the pasta that didn't make this one great... but I'll try a new dish when we go back.

In the end, we DID clean our plates:


Overall -- I thought it was excellent. It's SO great to be able to eat pasta in the North End! I can't wait to try the bread, which we found out they bake themselves.... AND -- I'm going back on Thursday night! I'll have to post again....

1 comment:

Marlow said...

OH! Fried Mozzarella! I had given up hope!