Friday, January 05, 2007

A great dining experience

Going out with a girlfriend for dinner last night - the first sushi place we planned on turned out to be closed, shut down forever! I was totally bummed - so we thought of another place around the corner, actually in the Westin Hotel in Copley Square called OSushi. I had been there a while ago, and remembered it was good.

I don't know what has been going on lately, but I have been CRAVING sushi all the time. I really can't get enough. I have my favorites - Tuna, Alaska, Salmon, yellowtail - and especially the seaweed salad. So last night we sit down, it's a cool place, small, and with loud techno, order some Sake, miso soup and for some reason it dawns on me to ask if the seaweed salad has soy sauce in it. Now, I've been eating this for the past month or more, every week, and I just think of this now?! Sometimes I really blank of watching the food I eat.

Then the waitress asks, do I have a food allergy? Yes, I do. Wheat? Why, yes. Celiac? Wow - yes, I do!
(It's amazing to me that people know about this, I don't know why).

This waitress turns out to be the best. Finds some wheat-free Tamari buried in the kitchen. Informs me without asking what I can/can't eat. She was awesome! It turns out her best friend has celiac so she knows all about it.

Back to the seaweed - I'm completely bummed. And, pissed - I've been thinking I've been doing so well and not eating gluten, and it turns out I was wrong.

So - the dinner was so great - Kobe Beef Rolls? Umm, the greatest thing ever... They also have the best miso soup I think I've ever had. If you're in town - go there, look for the short, cute brunette waitress - she'll hook you up.

7 comments:

~M said...

Hi,

I also live in Boston, so I have a few questions about your post.

Do you remember the waitress' name?

Also, did you double check to make sure that the miso soup did not contain any barley? I miss miso soup.

Thanks!
~M

Allie said...

Hey Michelle -

Sorry, I don't remember her name, I should have gotten it.

Also - she told me the Miso was GF, I didn't see any barley in there - just mushrooms, tofu & spinach... and she made a point of saying the Miso was OK - so it should have been - she seemed to know alot about it!

Allie

ByTheBay said...

I adore sushi - So much so that if I wrote the food pyramid I think I'd put it at the bottom and require 3-5 servings a day - Hehe.

I bring my own GF tamari and order basic, safe sushi only just to be on the safe side.

Nice to find your blog...

Allie said...

Hey thanks "ByTheBay"... glad to have some readers! I agree that sushi should be part of the food pyramid, ha! It's just SO good.

This past weekend I followed your lead & brought my own GF tamari to a place I love that doesn't carry soy that I can eat... Although, I'm getting to the point where I don't even add soy anymore.

Great, now I'm craving sushi again... ;)

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a pleasant dining experience. It always makes dinner so much nicer.

Liz said...

I went to OSushi over the weekend. I didn't see the short, cute brunette, but we sat at the sushi bar and had great service from the sushi chef himself. The server suggested that I pickout what I wanted, and the chef would make changes. So, I avoided anything obviously tempura-ed or otherwise cooked. The chef looked at the order and asked me about substitutions. Apparently, the eel is already marinating in a soy sauce marinade, so he subed another fish. It was good service, and I was confident in what I had to eat. Great place!

Allie said...

Hey Elizabeth -
That's great!! I'm so glad you had a good time there... Good to know about the eel, I wonder if that is the same case everywhere?

I'm realizing more and more that I'm not being as careful as I should be and have resolved to change that.

Take care,
Allie