Wednesday, January 19, 2011

GF Cinnamon Rolls, homemade...


I have been wanting to make cinnamon rolls at home for a while, and with the 3 day weekend we just had, I found a little time to give this recipe a go! I actually looked all over the internet to find a recipe, and then remembered reading about Better Batter's Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll Clone.

I went for this one because it seemed pretty easy, and there weren't too many ingredients (I don't keep a variety of GF flours on hand to make blends). I thought I had a full box of Better Batter, but I was almost out, so I had to use the rest of what I had, and then mix in King Arthur All Purpose Mix as well (I'm not sure if this affected the results, but maybe?).

Anyway - I made the dough, rolled it out in two, and sprinkled the filling on top:

I sort of just winged the filling, and didn't follow exactly to suit my tastes. Then I rolled it up, and cut little 1 inch pieces.
After rolling them up, you let them sit in the pan for about 40 minutes, then pop them in the oven to bake at 400 for 15 minutes. I actually let mine cook longer, about 20-25 minutes because the top wasn't browning, but I think I probably cooked them a little too long.


After you take them out, voila:

YUM CITY. Dont' they look great? At the very top you can see a pic with the sugar glaze poured over the top - these were fresh out of the oven and smelling HEAVENLY.

I didn't do the topping recipe that called for cream cheese and butter --- I am doing Biggest Loser at work after all (ha!) -- so I just did a simple sugar glaze mixing confectioners sugar, milk and a drop of vanilla.

These were great! They aren't exactly the texture that I was picturing, they were a little more doughy -- but I think they're yummy, and I probably over-cooked them, AND I use the correct

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh god don't tempt me!!! I'm trying to stay off the sugar for a while! These look awesome :)

Allie said...

Sorry jen! I actually cut the amount of sugar that went into these, but yeah - not paleo friendly!

good luck with it!!! I'm sure you'll do great!