Thursday, April 16, 2009

Better Batter - and really good banana bread


When I was at that natural foods store in Reading, MA -- I saw a new box that was not familiar to me - Better Batter. A pre-mixed gluten free flour containing rice and brown rice flours, tapioca starch, potato starch, potato flour, xanthan gum, and pectin. I was going to try to mix my own gf pre-made mix - but I don't really bake all that much. I had a big bag of Tom Sawyer GF Mix that lasted me about 2 years.... Plus, I've gotta say - i was drawn to this packaging. You don't see much clean, fresh packaging in the gluten free world - and this drives me crazy. 

So props to better batter for both a cute box -and an even cuter website -- speaking of which, definitely check it out - they have tons of really great looking recipes.

Anyway - I had only dug into the 2lb bag I bought one other time to make some beef stew - so last night, I had some very rotten bananas so I decided to make some banana bread. I used Mark Bittman's recipe from "How to Cook Everything" (no surprise here, I only use this book as of late - and it never fails!)

Anyway -- I used 2.5 cups of the Better Batter, and also used 1/2 cup of just brown rice flour - and OH MAN -- by far, the best tasting banana bread I have ever made. I've had a string of bad luck with baking as of late, and this was delicious! Even matt went back for seconds and thirds - which definitely means it was great - and NO weird gluten free taste at all.



8 comments:

Marlow said...

I hope I can find this in NC!!

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Allie,

I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best health writers on the web. I reviewed your posts, and think your writing would be a great addition to the Celiac Disease Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.

Cheers,
Geoff

Jen said...

Ooooh Allie got invited to write on Wellsphere! Are you gonna do it?? ;-) I love the Better Batter website! Also, I tried one of those english muffins you gave me... SO DELICIOUS!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the product information! the banana bread DOES look delicious!
erin-glutenfreewithapurpose

Slightly Off Balance said...

Thanks so much for the kind words and the heads up about your post!

My staff pointed me in your direction.

We have a graphic designer that we basically give total free reign to - we learned a long time ago that there's a reason artists are artists, and we are not, and it's usually better to get out of the way than try to micromanage. Thanks so much for the kind words!

Naomi

Amanda on Maui said...

That bread looks delicious! I'm hoping to get my hands on some more bananas soon. I ran out this weekend. Oops.

By the way, I just saw your comment from February on girlgetsbaking and I wanted to let you know that I now have a new blog at http://gfmaui.blogspot.com

I have a couple of restaurant reviews up for gluten-free dining on Maui. I'm hoping to have more soon. I recently heard that Flatbread Pizza in Paia has gluten-free crusts, and I may be going to Haliimaile General Store for a celebratory dinner later this month. If you've not come to Maui yet, keep an eye on my blog for more info!

Aloha!

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read that post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read the article. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.