Friday, March 06, 2009

Work Travel


travelfood, originally uploaded by AInserra.

As of late I've had to do a bit of travel for work. I don't mind it - but I get slight anxiety about being able to find food to eat. Does this happen to you?

I was rushing around before work yesterday getting clothes together, and I grabbed a package of GF Shar crackers, a half finished bag of rice cakes, and a bag of almonds & raisins... we are seriously low on food in the house - so this was all I had in the way of snacks.

On the Amtrak down last night, I got a bag of chips -- then when I got to the hotel I ordered room service - luckily, there was an omelette on the menu, so I went for that. This morning I figured there wouldn't be anything at the continental breakfast for me.... so I ate the aforementioned rice cakes, and had some crappy hotel coffee.

Lunch is the next big obstacle, but luckily, I am sitting in the cafeteria waiting so decided to stock up on snacks just in case. I REALLY want to eat the oatmeal (i used to looove mushy oatmeal sitting in those warmers, mushy oatmeal is the best to me) but I ended up with some fruit, cottage cheese, chips, tea & water. BORING. But oh well.

I pocketed most of those chips for later, and I still have my crackers... so we'll see what lunch brings - guaranteed they will offer us sandwiches & salads loaded with croutons.

After that - dinner at the airport, which should be easier. Thank god for chips!!

6 comments:

sallybranwyn said...

I'm terrified of traveling, to be honest, which is my biggest gripe about being gluten free. I used to love to travel. LOVE it. since my diagnosis, it's so stressful to travel, that I've mostly avoided it.

However, I'm planning a big trip this year maybe to South America (Chile?) and need to just deal with this. I've been waiting until I feel better, but have some tests and such this month and am hoping for ultimate healing and health. Cross you fingers! I could do with some chips right now...

Marlow said...

I can't even count how many times chips have had to tide me over!!

H.Peter said...

Tell your boss to pad your expense account.
Then stay away from aything franchise, pick finer, owner operated establishments and travelling will be your new favorite part of the job.

We travel lots and have fun finding GF options everywhere.

Anonymous said...

I was nervous to eat while in Key West last week. I got "celiac sick" two times in 5 days. :(
I ate too many peanut M&M's and gf snack bars...

Anonymous said...

I agree, traveling can be such a pain. I often pack a little fabric cooler with ice packs, turkey sandwiches (made with homemade GF bread), fruits and veggies, goat cheese and pecan crackers.

Still... the best part of traveling used to be the eating! I feel like I can't risk eating at restaurants at all - even "gluten free" establishments sometimes give me gluten sickness.

Do check out Yelp.com though, it's a great business review website that now has a gluten free restaurant search!

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://cujumaved.easyfreehosting.com/melogun.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life