Thursday, March 19, 2009

Traditional Irish Boiled Dinner... Naturally gluten free

We had a small gathering for St. Patty's day at our apartment and did the traditional Corned Beef & Cabbage dinner. This is starting to become a tradition, and I'm fine with it...I LOVE corned beef! 

I was hoping to have leftovers to make hash, but we ate it all, even though I bought almost 6lbs of corned beef. 

If you didn't know already - corned beef is one of the easiest things to cook ever. I usually buy a FLAT cut - not pointed... and here's how I cooked it:

3.5 lb corned beef - not pre-marinated/brined

Fill pot with water and add:

5 peppercorns
2 dashes of allspice
1 onion
6 or more gloves of garlic (whole, not smashed)
5 cloves

I think that's it.... Boil for 3.5-4 hours, and you're done!

You're supposed to boil everything together but 1. I don't have a pot large enough (I needed 4 large pots to cook that dinner) and 2. we had a vegetarian with us that night, so I didn't want the potatoes/carrots/cabbage to be infused with beef fat -- although, it probably would have tasted even better!

I also served on the side three different kinds of mustard -- Country Dijon, regular Grey Poupon, and a mixture of Grey Poupon and 0% Fage yogurt - which is my favorite.

Hope you had a fun St. Patty's!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

I see that you're a fan of cooking with Greek yogurt, namely Fage. Stonyfield Farm makes Oikos Organic Greek yogurt which is the only ORGANIC Greek yogurt on the market today. It also doesn't contain Gluten. I'd love to send you some free coupons to give Oikos a try. Just shoot me an email at Kdrociak@stonyfield.com if you're interested and let me know where to send them.

Take care!
Kristina
Stonyfield Farm

Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely delicious! I'm going to have to try your recipe (every day is a good day for corned beef)!

How is the search for a good gluten free bread coming?

sallybranwyn said...

a sitting injury? LOVE it, not that I don't feel bad for you, but seriously that's hilarious. Hope it doesn't hurt too bad, though!

And I'm voting for the third book for being the best. What with all the lusty "we can't do this" business. The fourth was HIDEOUS. I kept giggling through it.

Anonymous said...

I started eating Oikos greek yogurt and almost immediately I started experiencing symptoms that I get when I consume gluten, which for me is mostly IBS probs and also feeling hungry all day long. I read all over the internet that this stuff is GF, so I kept eating it. I finally stopped to see what happened, and sure enough the symptoms went away. I am convinced that Oikos contains gluten. Fage on the other hand, does not. I have been eating it for about a week and it does not cause the symptoms that I get with gluten.

Also, the statement from Kristina of StonyField farms that "Oikos is the only ORGANIC Greek yogurt on the market today" is simply not true. Fage is also organic as are a few others. Hopefully for Kristina, Fage's lawyers will not read this blog!
;)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I like the Udi brand bread...closest I have found to "real" bread. They sell it at Whole Foods.