How is it Friday already?! WOO HOO - long weekend.
So, the meal plan fell apart last night - but I think we'll nix the veggie cassoulet, and do shrimp & grits tonight for movie night with the hubs.
I did make the Buttermilk chicken recipe (that I found here) on Wednesday night though. I thought this was OK. I probably wouldn't make it again, although I would make breadcrumbs like this again and switch up the recipe a little bit. Here it is:
Buttermilk Baked Chicken
- Vegetable oil, for baking sheet -- I just sprayed EVOO spray on baking dish
- 8 slices bread --- I used UDI's of course, and only 4 slices
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 pounds chicken parts (preferably legs, thighs, and wings), rinsed and patted dry --- I used chicken breast & legs, and only used about 2 lbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously rub a baking sheet with oil. In a food processor, pulse bread until it turns into coarse crumbs.
- In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, hot-pepper sauce, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a separate bowl, mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan, thyme, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Place the chicken in the buttermilk mixture, turning to coat evenly. Working with one piece at a time, remove chicken from liquid, letting excess drip back into bowl; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat evenly. Place coated chicken pieces on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until chicken is golden brown, about 35 minutes.
And after: My little assembly line dunking the chicken in the buttermilk mixture, then crumbs, then baking sheet:
Not bad.... for some reason this tasted better as leftovers... I think the mix of hot sauce & thyme was a little weird... Maybe more seasoning, no hot sauce next time! I also sliced & roasted brussel sprouts in a little olive oil and season salt, and red potatoes on the side!
OK - now I have about half a carton of buttermilk left -- what should I make with it??? Have a FABULOUS weekend everyone!