Thursday, July 22, 2010
First time, actually second, time I was in San Francisco I saw a lot of signs & read many menus advertising fish tacos. For some reason, they sounded weird to me -- but I love fish, I love tacos, and they were all made with corn tortillas, so I figured I'd try them. Umm....YUM.
When we went on our honeymoon we had the best fish tacos EVER in Paia on Maui, and I have actually been trying to re-create them ever since. They're really simple, and I've found a few recipes, but I usually just make it up each time.
This version pictured above was the following:
• Tilapia - lighted dusted with brown rice flour & fried up in a pan
• Red & Green shredded cabbage - mixed with champagne vinegar, lime juice, salt & pepper
• Avocado - also with lime juice
• Shredded cheese (cotija would be great if you can find it)
• dollop of sour cream mixed with spices
• corn tortillas ( I quickly fried them in a pan with a brush of oil)
• one more squeeze of lime on top!
I also have followed these recipes in the past: one from Food & Wine Magazine and the other from Epicurious.
And that's it!